Sunday, January 8, 2012

Holden's Red Hunting Hat




I think Holden’s red hat means more than just a red hunting hat. For him I don’t think it’s just worth a “buck”. I also don’t think it is used for hunting, so that the dear can’t spot you I think it means something else. I think the red hunting hat symbolizes Holden himself or what he wants to do, his motive. What the red hunting hat symbolizes is Holden hunting for phonies like Ackley and Stradlatter. He is trying to find people that look like something great but are not what they look like. For example one of Holden’s phonies is Stradlatter. He says that Stradlatter looks great on the outside, but he is really a “secret slob” who has these bad manners. Like Holden says that he always uses the same razor and never cleans it. I think this is kind of ironic because I think Holden is a phony himself. So I think the red hunting hat does mean that he is searching for the phonies in the world, and the color blinds them and the phonies do not know that Holden is the hunter, but i do not know what he wants to do to phonies if he ever "captures" them.

No comments:

Post a Comment