Monday, January 23, 2012

Nick

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since. I think that this quote somehow affects me and has really been stuck in my mind but I don’t know if I follow it. He told me, “Whenever you feel like criticizing any one, just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had." He didn’t say any more, I always kept wondering why he didn’t tell anything else or if this applied if people had more advantages then me; but we’ve always been unusually communicative in a reserved way, and I understood that he meant a great deal more than that. In consequence, I’m inclined to reserve all judgments against people that have had less advantages then me, and I try to reserve judgment to people that have had more advantages them me in life, like more wealthier people than me and people that think that their higher than me just because of my economic state. The people that are the ones that are judging you for your economic state, or how you dress, where you live, and how your house looks house looks like. The people that judge you by comparing their life to my life and finding out that they have had more things than us, this are the people in the world that have had more advantages then me, they are the small percent. Still like I said I try to reserve judgment but it is them who make me want to judge them for what they do. 

1 comment:

  1. Javier, I'm glad you tackled this passage, it's quote dense. Look again, and is Nick the one WITH the advantages over "all the people in the world"? How might this change Nick's attitude toward those less-advantaged people? Keep in mind that while Nick has less money than many characters in the book, he is still pretty well off, in general. Thanks for this! - Mrs. Viano

    ReplyDelete